Find a Welcoming Congregation or a Minister to Perform a Ceremony

Unitarian Universalism is a religion that has made a name for itself as being welcoming to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals and families. You can find out more about Unitarian Universalism.

The Unitarian Universalist Association offers a Welcoming Congregation program to help congregations become more welcoming to LGBT people, and 80% of Unitarian Universalist congregations in the United States are recognized as Welcoming Congregations, meaning that they have gone through an intentional process of education and outreach around LGBT issues.

To find a Welcoming Congregation near you, go to our Find a Congregation page and check the box that says "Show only Welcoming Congregations." You can then do a search that will show you Welcoming Congregations within the geographic area you specify.

Find a Minister to Perform a Special Ceremony

The Unitarian Universalist Association is proud that so many of our ministers perform commitment ceremonies and weddings for couples regardless of gender, and the denomination has publicly supported this practice since 1984. The Unitarian Universalist Association actively encourages member congregations to work for marriage equality in their communities, and leaders continuously advocate for marriage equality on a national level.

To find a minister to perform a special ceremony, the best place to start is to contact the Welcoming Congregations in your area. These congregations have been through a process to become more intentionally welcoming to LGBT people; often, their ministers are happy to perform civil unions and marriages, or can refer you to others in the surrounding area who could do so.

Staff in your regional office can also help you find a minister to perform a ceremony.